If you’ve been wondering why the Market Restaurant has closed it’s shutters and turned an interesting shade of red, well here is the answer; it’s become the Kahlúa Coffee House! Here’s the info you need, straight from the horse’s mouth & hot off the press as they say…
MANCHESTER FOOD AND DRINK FAVOURITES LAUNCH FIRST
‘KAHLÚA® COFFEE HOUSE’ EXPERIENCE
Kahlúa, the original Mexican coffee liqueur, has teamed up with Manchester hospitality heroes The Liquorists, The Coffee Circle and Teacup on Thomas Street to launch ‘Kahlúa Coffee House‘, its first creative food and drink experience; inspired by the unique heritage of Veracruz, Mexico.
From Friday 29th March to April 28th at 104 High Street in the Northern Quarter, the vibrant Kahlúa Coffee House will feature two floors of Mexican inspired coffee cocktails, food, film nights and a speakeasy style VIP room, Salon de Kahlúa hosted by cocktail masters The Liquorists.
Manchester’s finest swing aficionado Dr Sid will open the venue with a guest DJ appearance on Good Friday and the fun continues throughout April with a series of free cocktail master classes, film screenings and surprise events. Follow the Kahlúa Coffee House on Twitter @KahluaUK to find out what is going on first.
Here’s what’s happening down at the Kahlúa Coffee House:
Downstairs - Kahlúa Coffee House opens 11am-midnight Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 11-6 the rest of the week (closed on Mondays). Featuring:
- A bespoke sourced and roasted coffee menu created by Manchester’s Coffee Circle, V60 brews also available
- A selection of exclusive milkshakes, agua frescas and cocktails.
- ‘Peckish‘ – an original menu of game and poultry dishes and bar snacks created by John Quilter and the team behind award winning casual dining favourite, Teacup. Tasty treats include pigeon pockets with pomegranate seeds, sticky Kahlúa BBQ wings, bacon, chilli and toasted pecan brittle with ice cream and an espresso brownie with Kahlúa infused foam.
Upstairs – Salon de Kahlúa, the VIP event space opens Thursday –Saturday from 5pm til late (closed to public during cocktail masterclasses). Entry is by invitation or reservation and features:
- A bespoke cocktail menu designed by The Liquorists includes the house signature Kahlúa Espresso Martini and the Afogato – a deconstructed White Russian served in a glass teacup and saucer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream soaked in hot Kahlúa and Absolut Vanilia.
- Friday and Saturday at 6.30pm and 8.30pm twice nightly FREE cocktail interactive masterclasses courtesy of the Liquorists and Coffee Circle.
- Thursdays will see the Salon de Kahlúa host a weekly FREE film screening at 8pm. Settle in and enjoy a classic film with a cocktail.
- The Big Lebowski - cult classic, in celebration of the White Russian
- Frida - biopic, depicting the life of remarkable and controversial Mexican surrealist artist Frida Kahlo
- Duck Soup – the Marx Brothers classic anarchic comic masterpiece
Cocktail & Coffee Masterclasses
Mixology masters The Liquorists and coffee connoisseurs Coffee Circle will be giving FREE masterclasses as part of the Kahlúa Coffee House experience.
Classes begin with a sensory exploration of Veracruz, Mexico – the region in which Kahlúa has been made ever since 1936. Guests are blindfolded and guided through the four key flavours that make up this intriguing liqueur – vanilla, rum, caramel and coffee. Guests will discover these flavours by blind tasting an array of secret foods, whilst listening to the ambient sounds of a Mexican street.
One of the key flavours of Kahlúa is coffee, a combination best known in the Espresso Martini. Guests will have the opportunity to taste The Liquorists’ take on this classic serve, before learning more about coffee with James Guard; coffee roaster, expert barista & founder of Coffee Circle. James will describe the journey coffee makes from bean to cup, whilst guests sample espresso and discover the rich variety of flavours to be found in a properly brewed coffee.
Finally, The Liquorists will introduce some new ways of enjoying Kahlúa through one of the signature serves they have created just for Kahlúa Coffee House.
Cocktail and Coffee masterclasses last one hour but must be booked in advance and guests must be 18 or over to apply. Bookings can be made at: www.kahluacoffeehouse.com or by contacting @KahluaUK on Twitter.
Throughout April Kahlúa Coffee House will be holding FREE film screenings upstairs in exclusive speakeasy bar Salon de Kahlúa. Films selected celebrate Kahlúa’s unique Mexican heritage, and we are delighted to introduce critically acclaimed masterpieces and cult classics every Thursday night.
Frida – Thursday 4th April, 8.00pm
Critically-acclaimed biopic, depicting the life of remarkable and controversial Mexican surrealist artist, Frida Kahlo. Starring Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina.
Duck Soup – Thursday 11th April, 8.00pm
The Marx Brothers’ classic anarchic comic masterpiece. Originally released in 1933, Duck Soup remains as popular as it once was and is widely heralded as the Marx Brothers’ finest work.
The Big Lebowski – Thursday 18th April, 8.00pm & 10.15pm
An early cult classic from the now award-laden Coen Brothers. Follow The Dude on his epic quest for restitution after his carpet gets ruined. Starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore.
Admittance to the screenings is free of charge, no reservation required but it is advisable to book (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and any remaining seats will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis.
So that’s it, now you know. All that’s left to do now is pay them a visit. What do you think?